Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Monday 12 August 2013

DIY mat for X-Wing Miniatures Game

Last week I need a tin of Army Painter Desert Yellow spray in order to start on another box of Perry Miniatures Desert Rats. It seems to be like rocking-horse shit at the moment and the only place that seemd to have any was the chaps at Firestorm Games. It seemed rather a small order with just one aerosol so I also purchased a copy of the X-Wing miniatures game from them.

The game arrived last Thursday and very good it seems too, however, there is no playing area and a plain table top is not going to cut it. I looked around and you can buy some very expensive mats, but I've not played the game yet so I went for the cheaper option.

A piece of black felt 1m x 1.5m cost me £4.94 from eBay. It arrived today and I pegged it out on the washing line. I then grabbed a handful of Vallejo paints, the lid off of an old tub and an old toothbrush (old in that I was still using it this morning).

Squirt some paint onto the lid, pick up with toothbrush and 'flick' the bristles at the felt. I predominately used white, but also did a few 'blasts' of red, blue and yellow.

It seems to have turned out ok and was a bargain at under a fiver!

Peg out the cloth

Put some paint on the pallet

Pick up paint with toothbrush and flick at the felt

Action shot!
Victoria and I have had a couple of games of X-Wing, Victoria demanding to be the Rebels in both games and we are currently at one-all! It's a neat little system.


4 comments:

  1. Hey, Paul. DIY mats are a great (cost efficient) alternative to ready made store bought stuff. Looks good - haven't played the rules myself, but a few locals here do - they seem to like it. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dean. I've played a couple of games against Victoria and they seemed to go well and only take about 40 minutes. I'm playing Martin this evening at the club. I may be tempted to buy some more ships, although the cheapest option seems to be buying another box set as I'll get an X-Wing, two Tie Fighters and another set of templates.

      Delete
  2. Great idea for a gaming mat, might just have to copy it for my own Xwing games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scotty, Did not realise you were in New Biggin. I've stayed there a few times over the last few months while working in Bedlington, I'd have looked you up if I had known.

      Delete